Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can I get my child support arrearage reduced from a period…

Customer Question
Hi. Can I...

Hi. Can I get my child support arrearage reduced from a period of time when I was unemployed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I was unemployed or underemployed for an extended period of time a few years ago and was not able to pay the full amount of my month child support. I did not think to go to court and ask for a modification at that time. So now my ex-wife went to Child Support Services to file for collection of the full amount during that time. Can I get that amount reduced?

Lawyer's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Family Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Sure

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/16/2016
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Regrettably, no you cannot. There is no provision for retroactive modification of the arrearage. If you could not pay your child support because you were unemployed, you should have asked for suspension of your support payments or for reduction until you are employed again.