Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am dealing with custody over my son with my ex wife in the…

Customer Question
I am dealing with custody...
I am dealing with custody over my son with my ex wife in the state of South Carolina . During our exchanges she has repeatedly brought up to the different officers claiming that I have a gun, because I have a legal permit but do not carry a firearm with me to these exchanges. The reactions have been different from officer to officer, they have told her to stop doing that someone is going to get hurt. Recently she caused an incident during a custody exchange infront of an officer and while she was being reprimanded by the officer she yelled out he has a gun and I'm afraid, this caused a tense situation between myself and the officer. At this point I am afraid for my life and am scared of getting shot. Is there anything I can do about this, and can the courts continue to make me drop of my child and put my life and my child's life in danger
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation. Is your concern about the location of the drop and that the Officers are involved and her continuing to make claims that you are armed?

My concern is her claims to the officers are going to get me shot, the drop off is done infront of the sheriffs office with an officer present, I have full custody of my child, and she is on supervised visitation

Thank you for the additional information. Yes, if her conduct and actions are posing a threat to not only yourself but the child, you can file a motion with the court, to modify the location of the drop off. You would need to show and explain to the Judge what she is doing and propose an alternative location for the drop off, based on what she is doing. You can suggest a 3rd party be involved with the exchange or go to a neutral, public place. The goal is to show she has no faith basis for these claims and it is outrageous and dangerous conduct, to allege you have a gun, time after time, in the presence of the officer.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

What good would switching the location that does nothing to make her stop the allegations of me having a weapon to the officers present. The issue is that that needs to stop before something happens, are the courts able to force me to put my life in danger over visitation?

When I suggest changing locations, I mean to no longer require an officer to be there, so it could be at another public location, just without an officer needing to be present. Notwithstanding, you can 100% address the issue with her conduct and speak with the Judge about her to cease the allegations, when she knows they are not true and when your child is present.