Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If my ex-spouse lied during our divorce settlement, can I…

Customer Question
If my ex-spouse lied during...
If my ex-spouse lied during our divorce settlement, can I have the case re-opened and re-evaluated?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good morning. Can you share with me what she lied about and how you found this out, after the fact?

She lied about my custody of my son (was age 11 at the time) live with me in Las Vegas.She managed to move the jurisdiction to California. also, she lied about a written promise that was not filed in court.

What exactly did she say though? What was the issue with your son that she lied about? You shared that he was living with you? Also, what did she allege to move jurisdiction? Also, if there was a writing, did you not have a copy of it?

This is in 1998: I filed for divorce in Nevada, I was resident if NV for more than a year and my son lived with me and was going to elementary school in Clark County. My ex wife was coborrower of our house in Las Vegas. She was actively involved in house hunting and purchase of the house. She denied that NY son lived with me and lied that he had nothing to do with purchase of the house. Her attorney challenged the jurisdiction and moved it to California, where I lived before moving to vegas. I ended up with a bad deal because I did not have attorney in CA. now. She is suing me for a lot of money in CA. I know it was a long time ago and have a little chance but perrera is a crime and not sure if it has statute of limitation in NV.

Thank you. You are likely looking at a 3 year period of time, in which perjury charges could have been brought and filed against her, for lying under oath. Since this happened in 1998, the time would have passed and if this was something that was known and discovered at the time or shortly thereafter, it should have been addressed then. To first try and come back almost 15 years later, would not result or allowed prosecution or for the court to open the case, since so much time has passed. I know it was not what you were hoping to hear but I need to be up front and honest with you.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!