Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My sister had been living with her s/o years two days after…

Customer Question
My sister had been living...
My sister had been living with her s/o for 5 years two days after Christmas he told her to get out. He was drunk and becoming violent so she came over to my house. He turned off her phone and changed the locks on the house. They have had a agreement that if they broke up she would have a car, money and support, that she wouldn't end up on the streets, since she moved in with him. Tam is disabled because of back pain and is unable to work. Tam had back surgery 12/17. Tom had put her in his will and on his retirement and annuity so she would be taken care of if anything happened to him. I believe she should be entitled to palimony from him
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/16/2016
Family Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear that. I hope she is doing ok. She may have a right to some support. Do you know if the agreement they had was written? If so that is an easy case. If not she may still be entitled to support. In a Palimony or Marvin Claim, a non-marital partner’s right to monetary support or property is dependent upon an expressed or implied contract, or some other fair and legal basis for the claim. I think the evidence that he made arrangements to take care of her in the event of death helps the case a lot.

Thank you for signing up for our service. If you need further assistance, let us know, otherwise, please "accept" the answer. If you are inclined, a positive rating is appreciated.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer