How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118722
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a international student currently study abroad in

Customer Question

I am a international student currently study abroad in Canada. My girlfriend is a Canadian who live in Quebec. She was pregnant accidentally during she is taking birth control pill a week ago. As a student, I cannot afford a baby. We decide to end the relationship after a long talk. My question is: if she decide to birth the baby, what's gonna happen to me? Do I have to pay the child support after?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. If she has the baby you will be liable for paying support to her for the child. The amount of support you are required to pay would be based on your income and you are liable to pay even if you leave the country through the various international child support treaties with most all countries. You are also entitled to share custody of the child and visitation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have any income right now. How to calculate the amount of money I have to pay? what is the percentage of child support? Do I have to pay everything or how much money I have to pay when I have income?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
The court has a table that they use it is about 11% (that is a rough estimate) of your gross monthly income. You pay monthly for support.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it possible to decrease the rate of the child support (I guess 11% is a bit hight)? Moreover, if I still do not have any income when the child was born. For example, when the child is one-year old, does it means I have to pay the money of child support for the 12 months which the period I didn't have any income? Does it the money of child support is accumulable?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thenk you for your reply.

No that is the rate set by the law, it is what it is. You will have to pay some support based on whatever income you have. If you have zero income you cannot pay support, but once you get a job and get income started, then support will start, it will not build up for back support if you had no income during those back years, but I am afraid that it is your child and you are responsible for it legally and morally.