How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4829
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a contempt order from my children's father while

Customer Question

I received a contempt order from my children's father while in court about a restraining order. The order was still in effect when he filled. It since has been removed (the restraining order by a judge) he is saying that I do not allow him to talk to the children every day and also saying I am in contempt for not allowing him to meet my current boyfriend. The relationship began before the custody agreement was made by a judge and he met my children prior to any custody agreement. The custody agreement states that we are to introduce each party to whoever we may be dating before we introduce them to the children but the relationship was already established before this order was set by the judge. Am I in contempt because my boyfriend refuses to meet my kids father. Does this still apply although The relationship was established before the order? And can I file for dismissal
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

The fact that you were dating him before the order was put in place does not, by itself, make it not covered by the judge's order. However, whether you are in contempt really depends on how the order was worded. It depends on whether the order requires your boyfriend to meet him, or that it requires that he meet your boyfriend meet him before he can be around the kids. The judge cannot force your boyfriend to meet your ex, but the judge can hold you in contempt for preventing it.

Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.