Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Michigan - As part of getting a divorce my ex and I signed

Customer Question
an agreement for payments (alimony/child...
Michigan - As part of getting a divorce my ex and I signed an agreement for payments (alimony/child support) that was not written in the divorce. Is this legally binding? Would have fought the divorce if I did not sign?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/15/2016
Family Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Loren, Lawyer

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

As a general rule, unless support or alimony is included in the final decree ordered by the court, it is not enforceable.

In other words, informal agreements for support or alimony are not enforceable. The support or alimony must be actually ordered by the court.

Are you online with me?

Ely, Counselor at Law