Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am going thru a divorce in California, marriage lasted 20

Customer Question
I am going thru a...
I am going thru a divorce in California , marriage lasted 20 years, what is the approximate length for Alimony payment, there was no domestic Violence, spouse has a Bachelor's degree and I have a Master's degree and both were working at the time of marriage
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
1/13/2016
Family Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

Marriages of 10 years or more are considered marriages of long duration in California. As such the court is not allowed to set a definite termination date for spousal support at the time of the trial. Many people and attorneys misinterpret this rule to mean that California has lifetime spousal support in marriages of long duration. This is not the case, as proven by the citation below:

As recognized by our Supreme Court the public policy of this state has progressed from one which “entitled some women to lifelong alimony as a condition of the marital contract of support to one that entitles either spouse to post-dissolution support for only so long as is necessary to become self-supporting.” In re Marriage of Schmir (2005) 134 CA4 432.

While the court cannot terminate spousal support by a certain date, they can set a date for termination unless the supported spouse applies to extend the support on or before that date. In marriages that are just over 10 years, or the spouse has excellent career prospects, this is often a fruitful strategy to pursue. In marriages of less than 10 years, spousal support is presumed to be no longer in duration than half the length of the marriage.

It is is sort of indefinite since your marriage lasted more than 10 years. The goal of the support is to allow you to get on your feet and settled.

If you could accept and rate the answer I can then close it out.

You would be suing the party that caused the accident and is now deceased? The statute of limitations still applies.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer