How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10208
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an ex-girlfriend who after serving her with a

Customer Question

I have an ex-girlfriend who after serving her with a lawsuit, made libelous untrue statements in writing about me to both the court where the lawsuit was filed and to family court to obtain a restraining order to keep me from being able to mail court documents to her...
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately false statements made during legal proceedings do not constitute defamation though they can expose the person to the criminal charge of perjury. More effectively, a motion for sanctions can be brought in the underlying case and if the judge finds that the person's statements caused additional legal fees they can order that party to pay the other partys's legal fees, in addition to imposing a fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because of her statements in the underlying civil case, she has now been dismissed as a defendant, because my former attorney advised me not to even acknowledge her claims because they were so ridiculous, and now it is at the appeals court. Am I able to motion the Superior Court or Court of Appeals for sanctions against her at this stage or do I have to win the appeal first and then file a motion with the Superior Court?
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Sanctions can oy be ordered against a current party. The sanction issue would typically be addressed in the response once one became aware of the allegations. One could attempt to get a perjury charge but that is not very common as typically sanctions when it occurs is the common response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would the process be to attempt to get a perjury charge?
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Information would be presented to the local prosecutor and they would determine if there was sufficient justification to bring it; most prosecutors don't pursue these, unfortunately, due to a lack of resources.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Criminal codes re: perjury:

I hope I've answered your question to your satisfaction. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask and I will get do my best-- If I have fully answered your question to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! Thank you; it's been a pleasure to assist you.