How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28043
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After years of fighting with the bank modification, I did

Customer Question

Customer: After years of fighting with the bank for a modification, I did not get the modification, so I agreed to a mediation before going to court. I agreed to the settlement, but that both the lawyer and mediator told me that my case was not strong enough to go to trial. I was wondering if there is any I can appeal the agreement.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The agreement is for payment in return for the keys and I now have 90 days to leave the house
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Family Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Okay.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. Is there any reason you do not want to proceed? A keys for cash type of deal is common and if the lender can not modify your home and keep you in it, you can at least walk away with some money.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Hi, are you still with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm being told that maybe the lawyer should have done more for me, and he left the room to talk alone with the mediator away from me. Seem a little suspicious to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The negotiations did not proceed the way the lawyer explained. He stated that I would have multiple chances to try and get as much as I could. It turned out that I only had two amounts offered.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Mediation is not binding. You were under no obligation to take the offer and if you walked away they would have proceeded with the foreclosure. At this point, if you do not proceed and give them the keys they will go back and sue you and proceed. Unless you can show you were forced into this and there was a problem with you being represented by counsel they would expect you to comply with the agreement. If you do not want to you need to tell your attorney so they can proceed

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.