How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Mom is a victim of domestic violence. She came to the US

Customer Question

Mom is a victim of domestic violence. She came to the US for medical reasons for the youngest child 6 months ago. She left the children with their father for a month when she tried to get them back thefather refused and threatend to kill her She has legal physical custodyof the other 2 children. She says the police will not help. Mom is still in the US with younger child who was just released from the hospital in December and is on a ventilator at home. They were already divorced when she left. Mom wants to go get her girls but is afraid because of his criminal background and numerous threats and fears for the girls safety because of a child abuse conviction for his current girlfriends son who is no brain damaged. What can she do? The courts in Philadelphia will not help and mom is on welfare because of the baby that's sick.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I am sorry to hear of this matter. Please tell me:

The custody of the children is granted to the Mother via a PR court?

And it is ole legal custody? And the children are still on PR?

And the Mother is in Philadelphia, PA now?

What has she tried with the courts that you state they will not help her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mom was granted custody in PR. They were only supposed to be with him for a month but then he would not return them and threatend to kill and hurt the kids. His family covers for him and she is unsure where he lives but knows the general area. They rold her she had to stay here 6 months to establish residency up here and then file here in Philadelphia but when she went back to file for custody up here they told her she had to go to PR. Mom says the police will not help her and she is very afraid he will hurt her or her kids if she goes down to get them. Is there a way he can be made to bring them up here?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

If she has custody from the PR courts, then I suggest can bring the kids here. But she needs to have legal representation. And in that regard, she should try to contact the Legal Aid Offices in Philly Telephone:(###) ###-#### I suggest she will want to have a copy of her custody orders.

She also can contact the PR Embassy in Washington, DC and ask for help from them, too. 1(###) ###-####

She needs to have legal representation. And the Legal Aid should be able to provide her with that service since she is low income as that is who the Legal Aid agency helps.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

The PR embassy should be aware that she needs help in this regard as they also can get involved. It is not going to be easy. Many questions will arise for instance - why did she leave the children with a man who was abusive toward her, etc. But those two agencies should be able to help her.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She already tried legal aid and they are backed up. They were unable to help. The PR embassy has not gotten back to her after many phone calls and several months. Thanks anyway for trying. Have a good day!
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. I wish there was more to offer for her at this time. But it is a family law matter. She could try the police in PR and see about parental kidnapping since she has the custody order. They could help to locate the children for her.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

I will opt out and maybe another professional here has more suggestions for you. There is no need to rate this at this time. Do not reply or rate and your deposit will remain in tact and another may be able to help. Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you

Related Family Law Questions