How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Case summary I married my husband in 2008 in Houston TX. He

Customer Question

Case summary
I married my husband in 2008 in Houston TX. He started to sexually, verbally and physically abuse me as soon as we got married. He started to physically, verbally and mentally abuse my oldest son since 2012 when my son was three years old. I had 3 kids with him - now 7, 2.5 and 1.5 years old. He forced me to get pregnant with 2 of the 3 kids.
I escaped Texas with my 3 kids in Jan 2015 to Virginia. My son's psychologist and her team encouraged me to leave the house with my kids since they considered we were in great danger. The reason we came to Virginia is that I have a friend here who said she could help us. We lived in Virginia for 3 months in a domestic violence shelter, 6 months in a homeless shelter and now residing in a domestic violence transitional housing program. My son is now in intensive in-home therapy because of PTSD and he's also seeing a long term trauma therapist. I am seeing a domestic violence counselor, a trauma therapist and a psychiatrist for treatment of PTSD.
I had an incident here in Virginia on 2/14/2015. Forgot my youngest baby in the car for 20 min due to depression and sickness. CPS and police were involved. My CPS case was closed in September 2015. Loudoun County ( where the incident happened) Court in Virginia returned the physical custody to me (not to the father because of DV) and ordered both parents have joint legal custody.
My husband filed divorce in Fort Bend County in April 2015. My attorney filed motion to transfer the divorce to VA but got denied. I attended mediation on 12/18/15 and only signed an agreement an amicus attorney was appointed to the case.
My husband has been tracking us using a private investigator. The PI just appeared in my son's school a couple of days ago.
Currently my husband is making 140k/yr and me much less than that. We have same advanced degrees. It is only a matter of time I can find a job in my field.
My attorney told me the court will order all my children moving back to Houston and the abuser will get unsupervised visitation. Is there any possibility this could be changed? Also I have exhausted the financial resources and need to work with a pro bono lawyer on my divorce. I have the temporary order hearing in Richmond at 9am on Jan 25.
If you can help me or refer me to someone, please let me know. Thanks!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. The question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Also in the event you are new to JA, I only receive a portion of what you pay to JA when you provide positive feedback and click the submit button on the upper right corner of your page. If I have provided you a timely response and answered your question please give me the courtesy of a positive rating before you log off the site, as many people forget to log back in and leave feedback. There is no additional charge for continuing to reply after you have rated me and we can continue a back and forth discussion until the question you posed has been fully answered

You should see my answer in the same pane below this response as we continue. In the event you would prefer a phone call please let me know and I can arrange it. It tends to be easier for both parties if you just tell me you want a phone call and let me send you the request versus using JA’s automated “request a call” feature. If you see a pop up regarding a phone call, please note that the website generated that offer. Before I send you any such request it will typically be based on you requesting it by typing the request on the screen and then I will send you a phone call offer (additional $52 typically). Do note that a phone call is not required and we can continue here just typing comments back and forth.

Do not be concerned with short delays in my response to you. When I am online I generally respond in a few minutes, unless I am on a call with another customer. When I am offline I generally respond in less than 24 hours. If I begin to answer your question late in the evening (after 9:00 PM CST) I will generally provide you a quick comment as to the fact that I am signing off for the night. I am generally online most days 1:00PM-10:00PM CST.

You should be able to view my answer just below this response as we continue…. I type kind of slow so I may do some quick research and then be typing your answer it may be 5-10 depending on your question. You can respond at any time.

I am sorry you find yourself in this situation I can't imagine the anxiety it would cause me to know my children might have to go into that environment. Do note that we don't represent anyone on the site and only can provide answers to the questions you post. I am located in Texas and familiar with Texas law generally and courts in the DFW more specifically.

Do you have evidence of the domestic abuse? This might include a previous protective order or police report or arrest and conviction for domestic violence? I do know you can contact legal aid, but I worked with them on several cases about 10 years ago and the reality was that they had so many request come in that they could really only assist people facing imminent physical injury to keep them safe? I would be happy to locate information so you can contact them in regards ***** ***** case in Fort Bend.