Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

What age of my child will I not have to pay child support?

Customer Question

What age of my child will I not have to pay child support? My daughter will graduate from high school this spring and is 18 years old. Her Mother says I have to pay child support until my daughter is 23 years of age. I do not agree.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

That is not true. In most cases, child support payments continue through the end of the month in which the child graduates from high school or turns 19, whichever comes first. Parents could agree to pay for a longer period, however, or a court could order an extended period based on a child’s specific needs but it doesn't sound as if this is the case here. So the answer will be in the spring at her month of graduation unless she turns 19 first is when child support payments will stop.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?