Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband is having an affair. they are threating me to

Customer Question
destroy my vehicle and also...
my husband is having an affair. they are threating me to destroy my vehicle and also says if i confront her she will put me in the hospital or worse kill me. she does have possession of a gun what action should i take.do i have any rights to our home my name is ***** ***** the deed we have been married for sixteen years and can i sue for alimony? thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
1/9/2016
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Could you explain a little more?

Who are you referring to as "they?"

Why are "they" trying to destroy your vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they are
my husband and his lover he says he will get really nasty because i have his cell phone with all the text messages between the two of them

Thank you for the information.

Why are threatening to destroy your vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i just bought the vehicle he knows that would hurt me more than he is already doing my life is in danger

Thank you for the information.

You do have rights to the home even if your name is ***** ***** the deed if the home was purchased during your marriage. The home is marital property and will be subject to division during your divorce.

Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for spousal support. That is, if evidence shows that you cannot support yourself, your husband would be ordered to pay for your living expenses.

As for threats to you and your personal property, you need to go to your local Courthouse and apply for a Restraining Order. For information on how to apply for the Order, click on the links below:

https://www.nycourts.gov/faq/orderofprotection.shtml

https://www.nycourts.gov/forms/familycourt/domesticviolence.shtml

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law