How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28331
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to file of my daughter, I live in PA and she lives in

Customer Question

I want to file for visitation of my daughter, I live in PA and she lives in NYC. She is 9yrs old I've been in her life from the very beginning and as of a few months ago her mother has stopped me from visiting her due to a lapse in a few support payments because I was in-between jobs. I'm still legally married to her mother and she already opened a child support case in NYC against me using her maiden name. Also I was paying support direct into her bank account so in the eyes of the state I'm technically in arrears and she wants to claim I haven't given her any money ever. Can I have her bank records subpoenaed to prove to prove I was depositing money in her account from PA every week with the court appointed child support amount? Do I have to file in NYC? Do I need a lawyer in NYC or PA? What are my least expensive options with positive results?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, if she denies that you have been paying support but it has been going directly into her account, for the amount ordered, the records can be produced. If the Judge gets involved, I do not think she would be willing to lie, when there is a paper trail and this can be easily discovered. Now, since the child lives in NYC, that is where this needs to be filed and you would need an attorney who is licensed there. The mother should not be withholding visitation as a result of not paying support but since she is, you need a court order at this time. As far as cost, you want to consult with a few family law attorneys and get quotes and select one that is affordable. Try and see if someone will take this on a flat fee basis, so that you know the cost.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!