How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is a child support question. The "child" is 20 years

Customer Question

This is a child support question. The "child" is 20 years old and is living independently. She was attending college but stopped due to serious mental illness for which she is receiving SSI. She does not currently live with the custodial parent and the non-custodial parent continues to make child support payments. The child is not directly receiving any of the child support payments. She is now requesting money from the custodial parent for help with rent and the custodial parent is refusing to help because the child dropped out of school. What recourse does the child have?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me:

1) Do you want guardianship/custody of the child, if possible?

2) How bad is her mental illness? What does she have?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.