How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MIAMILAW1127 Your Own Question
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 755
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
MIAMILAW1127 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** and my issue is regarding my need to

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and my issue is regarding my need to draft a legal memo regarding emergency petition to Maryland court to have custody be awarded to me of my nephew. My sister, Michele and mother of Nicholas, 15 years old, committed suicide on Oct 10, 2015. Nicholas was being raised by my mother for the past 10 years. But in December, without my knowledge she gave custody to my younger sister Lisa. Lisa is narcissistic and has does not have any children. Her antics and lack of human compassion is deplorable. I do not want to lose Nicholas to suicide. Yesterday, he called me crying because he said he was sick and Lisa refused to take him to the doctors. After I called the school nurse and requested she call Lisa to ask her to take Nicholas to the doctors she did. He was diagnosed with Mono. Lisa is demanding that he go to school tomorrow, against the doctors orders. She screams at him, belittles him and now has blocked me from calling him.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The current order is only a temporary order granting Lisa custody. I am afraid the courts will not allow me to join the petition because it is just temporary. I live in California and my little sister lives in Virgina. Maryland is hearing the case because that is where my mother lives. Can I file in CA or do I file in Virginia.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am going to be assisting you with your question today.

Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You would need to challenge the temporary order granting her custody by saying that she is unfit to have custody of the child. You would need to file in Maryland where the case is being heard.

I hope I have answered your questions. If I have not, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Also, please do not forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.