How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37820
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Here is the question. As of right now the paternal

Customer Question

Here is the question. As of right now the paternal grandparents have temporary custody of my grandaughter. Been going to court, their lawyer has been having the case continued and as of today the case was dismissed in their favor. I spoke to the judge but she just blew me off. Even told her that they threatened to have me arrested if I come to see the child and been having me stalked. The judge just blew it off. At the moment I was told that the only one that can file custody now is the mother, my daughter but she wants to give custody to me. So what are the next steps for this to proceed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

All that can be done is for your daughter to sue for custody to be returned to her and once she has custody she can allow you to raise the child and after a couple of years you will be able to successfully apply to the court for legal Guardianship or even adoption, with the consent of the parents of your grandchild.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a way that she can give me power of attorney over the child.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


Unfortunately, she has no ability to grant you power of attorney over your grandchild. Once she has full custody she can allow the child to live with you full time and provide you with a letter allowing you to have the child seen by doctors, etc. But that will be the extent of it until after a couple of yours you can safely apply for legal guardianship or adoption.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

You may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further.

I wish you well,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I was trying to do was to have my grandchild because these grandparents especially the grandmother has lied to get temporary custody and even purged herself on the stand and I proved that but the judge blew me off.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.


I fully understand that you are seeking to get your grandchild. I explained how you need to go about doing that given what the judge told you. Do you care to discuss this over the phone? I made that offer to you.

Please rate my service to you highly, as I am sure you are well aware that is the ONLY way I am compensated for assisting you. We experts are not paid by JustAnswer to help you. We offer our help in good faith expecting that you will likewise, in good faith, rate us so we can be credited for our work.

Thanks in advance,


Related Family Law Questions