How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28364
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons dad took me to court, because he said I did not let

Customer Question

My sons dad took me to court , because he said I did not let him see his son. That is not true. He was free to see him whenever he liked. His real reason is that he did not want to pay child support. I did not file child support on him the county did. I needed help financially for the 2 months I was off work Sept. & October 2015, so I went and applied for county. I gave them all my information and all that they asked for. On 12/30/15, I went to court and the judge denied all my request and gave us joint custody. I don't mind having joint custody, I just want to make sure my son is safe. My sons fathers lifestyle concerns me. How do I make sure the courts protect my son while he is there with his father? I know it's only 30 hours a month, but I'm a mother. Also is it true that I cannot file child support on my sons father since we have joint custody? Please help me. I have other question as well on joint custody.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If there are things the father does which concern you, you need to address those with the court and steps can be taken, to try and prevent them from happening. Conditions and restrictions can be imposed, if needed, based upon the best interest of the child. Now, as far as child support, it all depends on if time is really shared 50-50 or close to that or if you have the child more. Child support is based upon the needs of the child so if you have your son for more time then him and incur costs , you can ask the court to award you child support and have him pay.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!