How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Borders: I want to know how before a child is considered

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Borders: I want to know how long before a child is considered abandoned by its mother. The child in question has only seen its mother 2 or 3 times and not since June 2015. The permanent guardianship has been granted but the guardians want to adopt. So how long should they wait before filing the papers?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The child was removed from his mother and put into foster care at birth, he was addicted to heroine, when he was 3 months old his paternal aunt and uncle took custody of him and was granted permanent custody in Oct. he turned 2 in August and his father OD'd in Nov. Since the father died, (the guardian's brother) the mother hasn't made any contact.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Family Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, She did just recently pay a $100 in child support but it normally proceeds a court date
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of the situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If the mother only infrequently pays any child support and if the mother has only seen the child 3 times in the past 2 years, then the legal guardians might as well move forward at this point in time and seek to be granted adoption of the child and at the same time have the parental rights of the mother terminated based on abandonment.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Related Family Law Questions