Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am on the final session of a mandatory settlement hearing.

Customer Question
Customer: I am on the...
Customer: I am on the final session of a mandatory settlement hearing. I am presently paying Alimony and Child support and do not object to the application of SMith & Ostler ruling to the child support but can I avoid the SMith and Ostler application to alimony? I am agreeing to pay 4.5 years of alimony to an individual with a bachelors degree in criminal ***** ***** who was never a stay at home dad. He is self employed as realtor and it will be very costly to show that he is underreporting his earnings of 19k when he has had income of up to 74k on some years vs my steady income of 130k
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Nmae Name is*****
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Family Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
1/5/2016
Family Lawyer: MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney replied 1 year ago
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Unfortunately, the Ostler Smith award is applicable to both child and spousal support. The only way you would be able to get around that would be through the use of forensic accountants to prove that your ex spouse is underreporting his income.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney