How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RONB-ESQ Your Own Question
RONB-ESQ, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 357
Experience:  Right of Way Manager at Access Midstream Partners, LP
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RONB-ESQ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 16 going to be turning 17 in June. I am looking to move

Customer Question

I am 16 going to be turning 17 in June. I am looking to move out and go live with his boyfriend and his family. I live with my dad now and is an alcoholic and my step mom has been arrested multiple times. My mom used to physically abuse me she lives in Tennessee now. I don't feel like I belong at home anymore and my boyfriends parents are willing to take me in. What can I do to get there as soon as possible?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. The question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Also in the event you are new to JA, I only receive a portion of what you pay to JA when you provide positive feedback and click the submit button on the upper right corner of your page. If I have provided you a timely response and answered your question please give me the courtesy of a positive rating before you log off the site, as many people forget to log back in and leave feedback. There is no additional charge for continuing to reply after you have rated me and we can continue a back and forth discussion until the question you posed has been fully answered

You should see my answer in the same pane below this response as we continue. In the event you would prefer a phone call please let me know and I can arrange it. It tends to be easier for both parties if you just tell me you want a phone call and let me send you the request versus using JA’s automated “request a call” feature. If you see a pop up regarding a phone call please note that the website generated that offer. Before I send you any such request it will typically be based on you requesting it by typing the request on the screen and then I will send you a phone call offer (additional $52 typically). Do note that a phone call is not required and we can continue here just typing comments back and forth.

Do not be concerned with short delays in my response to you. When I am online I generally respond in a few minutes, unless I am on a call with another customer. When I am offline I generally respond in less than 24 hours. If I begin to answer your question late in the evening (after 9:00 PM CST) I will generally provide you a quick comment as to the fact that I am signing off for the night. I am generally online most days 1:00PM-10:00PM CST.

You should be able to view my answer just below this response as we continue…. I type kind of slow so I may do some quick research and then be typing your answer it may be 5-10 depending on your question. You can respond at any time.

Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry you find yourself in this situation as you have probably had to grow up to fast and take on responsibilities that your parents should have handled.

Generally if you want to make decisions on your own the only option you have is to file a petition for emancipation. Some people have called it a divorce from parents. Your parents would have to be notified as part of the filing and they could appear at the hearing to challenge it. You would generally have to prove that you can care for yourself without the need for state programs like medicaid, food stamps, etc.

I can't say, but if your boyfriends parents will provide much of this that might work, but everything points to the child being required to prove they can care for themselves and make decisions for themselves. You generally can file this petition beginning at the age of 16. Perhaps your boyfriends parents would be able to assist you with filing that paperwork. You can likely go to legal aid or the law library or clerk of your county and get documents you need to file. I found this document that was quite information and is for Wisconsin children.

In the end it would be better/easier if you just got permission or told them where to find you?? The above answer is what you have to do legally, but at your age it would be hard to force you to do anything as a parent and it may be that if you push the issue they will just allow you to go to his house? I truly wish you the best with this and again I am sorry you are dealing with this at this age.

If this answers your question please give me positive feedback (good-excellent) at the top of the page and click submit as that is the only way I am compensated for the time I spend answering questions. Do note you can ask as many follow questions as needed for free until the question you posted is fully answered



Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

I hope I have answered your question and you are satisfied with the response. I thought I should let you know that unfortunately I will be out of town Tuesday-Thurday night and back online Friday at 1:00 PM CST.

Expert:  RONB-ESQ replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I wanted to check in with you and confirm that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the answers I provided to you on the 4th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not received a rating. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can go directly to my page for future questions by going here:

Regards, Ron