Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

If my spouse never worked 13 years we were married does he

Customer Question
If my spouse never worked...
If my spouse never worked for the 13 years we were married does he still gets half of everything I own?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
1/5/2016
Family Lawyer: RONB-ESQ, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
RONB-ESQ
RONB-ESQ, Lawyer

Yes though it is probably not the answer you were seeking I have an obligation to provide a legally accurate answer and hope you understand that you can best understand your rights when you know how the law will be applied. Generally in any state whether common law or a community property state during the divorce the parties attempt to equitably separate all assets that are part of the "estate" created upon filing for divorce. Do note that certain gifts, inheritances, and property brought into the marriage may be deemed separate and not part of the "estate" that will be divided. It is not divided exactly 50/50 as sometimes it makes sense to give certain assets to one party if as example they are also obligated on the loan as then if they fail to pay they will be the one damaged.

What state are you in? That may help me if you have any follow up questions for me.

Regards,

The website messed up as this should have posted already.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I welcome you to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. The question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Also in the event you are new to JA, I only receive a portion of what you pay to JA when you provide positive feedback and click the submit button on the upper right corner of your page. If I have provided you a timely response and answered your question please give me the courtesy of a positive rating before you log off the site, as many people forget to log back in and leave feedback. There is no additional charge for continuing to reply after you have rated me and we can continue a back and forth discussion until the question you posed has been fully answered

You should see my answer in the same pane below this response as we continue. In the event you would prefer a phone call please let me know and I can arrange it. It tends to be easier for both parties if you just tell me you want a phone call and let me send you the request versus using JA’s automated “request a call” feature. If you see a pop up regarding a phone call please note that the website generated that offer. Before I send you any such request it will typically be based on you requesting it by typing the request on the screen and then I will send you a phone call offer (additional $52 typically). Do note that a phone call is not required and we can continue here just typing comments back and forth.

Do not be concerned with short delays in my response to you. When I am online I generally respond in a few minutes, unless I am on a call with another customer. When I am offline I generally respond in less than 24 hours. If I begin to answer your question late in the evening (after 9:00 PM CST) I will generally provide you a quick comment as to the fact that I am signing off for the night. I am generally online most days 1:00PM-10:00PM CST.

You should be able to view my answer just below this response as we continue….

I thought I should let you know that unfortunately I will be out of town Tuesday-Thursday night and back online Friday at 1:00 PM CST. As such I am going to opt out of your question so another expert can answer. Please don't reply until a new expert introduces himself as it will delay the process.

Regards,

Family Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

I see that the original expert has had to leave this interaction. Did you still need someone to answer your question? If so, can you tell me what state you're in? Did your husband stay home to raise children or work as a homemaker?

Ely, Counselor at Law