How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What rights does a girlfriend of my son 4 yrs. have in

Customer Question

What rights does a girlfriend of my son for only 4 yrs. have in regards ***** ***** personal property upon his death from an accident involving vehicles. I'm his father and seem to have no rights what so ever. A judge gave her power over his property. Is this Iowa law? In Wisconsin, she would not have any rights to his property.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Can you please tell me:

a) Were there custody orders for your son prior to his passing?

b) If so, who was the managing custodian, i.e. the parent with whom the child lived? Was it you or her?

c) Or, there were not custody orders in place?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You didn't answer my question at all ! This was a 37 yrs. old man.
I just want to know what rights a girlfriend has to his personal property. There lived together
for 4 yrs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should have known better then be fooled by this so called "ask a lawyer" site.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.


I am sorry, I am not sure what you mean by being fooled. I was writing out an answer and it takes a bit of time to do so because I wanted to be thorough.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

But it seems that you wish to terminate the conversation, so I will opt out.

Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this will "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.

My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck...

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel. I am sorry to hear of the tragic loss of your son. If you want to continue here, we can. If you do not want to continue You can use this LINK and ask the moderator to close your question.

If you want to continue, I will need to know if the assets/property she has been granted is property they bought together? Or are you certain all that she has been awarded is your son's sole property?