Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

Vega and divorce
, i bought a home before marriage. But

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** vega and divorce
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i bought a home before marriage. But i took out a line of equity on the home and they put wife on deed of trust. What are the chances i lose the house. She has kids but they are not mine
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Family Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is in california. Riverside county. Line of equity was used to buy a pool and spa. Shes is not on the equity line loan herself nor the first mortgage but bank for line of equity did put her on deed of trust
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

CA is a Community Property state. That means that any assets acquired during the marriage become subject to a 50/50 split. Now, if you did not get the equity line and her name was never put on the house, then it would remain your separate property in regard to anything you had invested in the home before the commingling of the home via the name put on the Deed.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

As it stands, your wife is going to have a claim to 50 percent of the value of the home.