How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Chris T., JD Your Own Question
Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4829
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Chris T., JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am representing myself (male 62 yrs old) in a divorce case

Customer Question

I am representing myself (male 62 yrs old) in a divorce case after I ran out of funds to pay my attorney. He withdrew from the case.
When my wifes attorney got news that I had no funds , no stocks, no retirement, no nothing she withdrew from the case. The court already orderd me to pay my wifes attorney $2500.00 , the same amount I paid my attorney, and any future attorney fees that I paid any attorney I was ordered to match to my wifes attorney. I was orderd to have a forensic audit on the small company I owned . While this audit was being done my wifes attorney demanded stacks of questions for me to answer , that the forensic audit was ordered for, thus running up the hours to make her billing hours larger.
How do I answer that and am I responsible for paying my wifes attorney even though I didn't hire her ? I still have time to answer the moition.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

It is common for one spouse to be ordered to pay the attorney's fees of the other spouse, since all of the money belonging to the couple is community money. In other words, you aren't paying her attorney with your money as much as you are paying the attorney with community money. Or, at least, that's how the court views it. So, if the court orders it, you do have to pay it. As for what to do about the motion, I suggest you contact the other attorney and see if you can work out a payment plan or a reduced fee. You should respond to the motion, however, and point out what you did here about the forensic accountant, and that the attorney basically ran up the accountant's fees with unnecessary tasks, and ask the judge to offset the attorney's fee by that amount. I'm not saying the judge will grant that request; it all depends on how unnecessary or outrageous the additional tasks were, but it's worth a try.

Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go (that's how I get credit for my answer).