Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Should i file parte, or temporary orders if my son is in the

Customer Question
should i file for ex...
should i file for ex parte, or temporary orders if my son is in the mothers care after a domestic violence charge she got with the boyfriend that she currently stays with?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
12/31/2015
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

You may not be able to get relief by an ex parte motion.....but it likely is a good idea to file for an emergency temporary restraining order to give you custody of the child....at least until these charges are resolved.....to make sure the child is protected and is not placed in a dangerous situation.

Generally, courts will grant temporary orders in the wake of a domestic violence charge against one of the parents.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should i just file first instead of doing the emergency temporary restrainig order? I do not want to lose the upper hand of her filing first

You usually just file for the temporary custody order and then ask for an emergency hearing on the issue to get it before the judge as soon as possible.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i have a lot of proof to show how unfit, unstable, she is as well as medical neglect and parental alienation she has done.. I am having a very hard time getting all my duck in line to get my son. I would want to have full custody but i keep getting told base on everything i have, i still could end up getting the short end of the stick with just visitation and mother custody.

Well, courts are required to do whatever is in the best interest of the child.....but even given that fact....judges are hesitant to take custody away from a parent. So, proof has to be extremely solid to have a good case.

But, the best way to start is with a temporary order that you can try to make permanent.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yea, i keep hearing the best interest of the child, which is hard to prove that she is not what is best interest our son, which is frustrating. With everything that has happened and how she uses our son against me just seem solid enough as well as this domestic charge she recently got with our son there, just seems like its impossible to have anything i have solid enough to protect my son.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how can temporary orders be made permanent in my case?

It is certainly an opportunity for you to gain custody -- at least temporarily -- which could develop into a permanent order if the judge see that it's fit to keep the temporary order in place/make it permanent.

The court, if it enters a temporary order, will set a hearing for a few months in the future.....and at that time the judge will decide to vacate the order OR make it last longer OR even to make it permanent.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how long do temporary orders last? do i have to still file? can she still file after or during the temporary orders are in place?

That's up to the judge as to how long the order lasts....but it usually lasts for a few weeks to a few months. In this case, it could last until the domestic violence charges are resolved.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
well i tried to buy more time, but its not processing through
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i just need to know do i still fie for custody if i file foe temp orders? or can she still file as well?

I'm not sure what the issue is, but I may be able to get an answer posted......

Usually, when one files a petition for a temporary order, it says that the relief requested is temporary until the court can have a hearing and determine permanent custody.

Roger, Attorney