Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have been served with divorce papers and am not

Customer Question
comfortable with some of the...
I have been served with divorce papers and am not comfortable with some of the verbiage. I have asked the petioner to call me as he is blocking my calls....in order to get some clarity on a few issues. He is refusing to do so. What if any is my recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/30/2015
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good afternoon. What is it that he is asking you to sign? Is this an uncontested divorce at this time?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has mailed the divorce papers which he drew up on line and is asking me to sign in spite of some concerns that seem in conflict with the separation agreement which was signed and note rides in Oct
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

There should be a button for the phone call request that you can make

Do you see a button for the additional offer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
have clicked on it twice

I just proposed it, so there should be something for you to click to accept it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It just turned down my paypal request so let's try and do via e mail for which I have Paid the $36

Ok. We can just chat here. If he mailed you the papers, I am inclined to believe it is for an uncontested/simplified divorce. This can be done and used when the parties agree on everything. You shared that you do not agree with what he wrote, so you do not have to sign anything. If you can not agree, then it would be contested and he would have to go back and obtain and file the necessary forms and have you served by a process server or Sheriff. Once that is done, you will have 20 days to respond and can object to the allegations in his complaint/petition. Unless you were served with a document that stated a specific period of time to respond, you do not have to sign anything, since it is contested and you are not agreeing to what he proposed.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer