How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Benicia Baker-Livors Your Own Question
Benicia Baker-Livors
Benicia Baker-Livors, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36
Experience:  Managing member at Family Law Group
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Benicia Baker-Livors is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is family law attorney/ paralegal who practices

Customer Question

my question is for a family law attorney/ paralegal who practices in new jersey. i am preparing to file a motion in court on my own- in other words represent myself in court in a family matter. this is my first time doing so as i cannot afford an attorney. i do not need help with my case but i need to know the basics of going about filing it in court- steps like what forms to fill, filing fee etc. what is the easiest way of doing it. i need someone who can patiently explain these steps to me in simple words. thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Please tell me what is it you want to file?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i see your profile mentions maryland. would you be able to help me with laws in new jersey?
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Yes. None of the professionals on this site can represent customers of this site, but all of us can provide general information for situations as you describe. If you want to continue we can do so here Or I can opt out and maybe there is a NJ attorney available online.

What is it you want to file, Please?

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

I do not participate in phone calls. We could continue here, however. But I will opt out and perhaps another professional will want to provide you information via a phone call. Good luck with everything.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Please do not respond here at this time and another will be with you.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

What is the name of the Motion?

In what Court do you want to file the Motion?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi i would prefer to chat online rather than on phone just so that i can go over the information provided whenever needed. i want to file papers in middlesex county courthouse in new jersey. would you be familiar with the local laws in this area? this is a post divorce litigation in united states courts between me and my ex husband over some marital property overseas. several years ago the court hit me with a daily fine for refusing to sign a power of attorney in favor of my ex so that he may go overseas and transfer property on his name. the basis of my refusal was that i do not trust my ex with a power of attorney and that i would transfer the property to him by going to the country where the property is located. anyway to cut the story short i have transferred the property to my ex's name and i am asking the court to waive off the court penalties as i have given him the property. i don't know if this would be called a motion, a petition or a certification??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do expect some opposition from my ex husband after the filing of these documents as he has a history of harassment. how does one go about filing papers? things like what forms to fill, send by mail or in person, filing fees, how to choose hearing dates etc.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information.

I will opt out and give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Expert:  Benicia Baker-Livors replied 1 year ago.
In answer to your question about New Jersey court forms, I will direct you to the State of New Jersey court website at should need the confidential case information sheet, the family court filing sheet. There is NO form in existence to set aside the judgment assessing fines against you. Essentially, you describe an order where the court found you in contempt for not complying with the divorce order to sign the transfer power of attorney. You might even be facing a warrant for your arrest within the state of New Jersey. It depends whether a warrant of commitment was issued along with the fine order. (I practice in Missouri and contempts often include arrest warrants valid only within our border). I can tell you that you would most likely need a motion but you should consider saving for a lawyer. IF a warrant was issued, there is a federal case out there saying if incarceration is at issue, even in a divorce case, you are entitled to appointed counsel if you can establish you are indigent. You should call the clerk with your caller id blocked to find out if the warrant of commitment has been issued. They may or may not tell you. In Missouri, that is public information.I hope this helps you.

Related Family Law Questions