How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30393
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My spouse wrote a complaint and asking lawyer. My lawyer

Customer Question

My spouse wrote a complaint for divorce and asking for money for his lawyer. My lawyer will write a complaint with no money.
If our lawyers won't agree on money question will the court hearing be appointed or not necessarily.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If the lawyers cannot agree, the judge will decide whether to order you to pay your lawyer's attorney's fees. The judge will usually order a hearing if there is any dispute over your income, your spouse's income and ability to pay, or whether the fees being charged by the attorney are reasonable. The judge could also order that your spouse must pay legal fees out of his share of the marital estate, rather than making you pay them upfront. So, for example, if you had a bank account with $10,000 in it, you could be required to give your spouse $5,000 from that account to pay his lawyer, but then you'd get the rest of that money.