How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28385
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed after an incident of Domestic Violence. I have not

Customer Question

I filed for Divorce after an incident of Domestic Violence. I have not serve my husband with the court papers yet.
I am afraid that he will then kick me out of the house because it was purchased before we married.
I have lived with him for 8 years, married for six, we have two daughters. and we both have other children from previous relationships, mine are two minors.
my husband told me that if I divorce him then I am going to be on the street.
I cannot afford to pay for a rent and living expenses of all my four children and myself without help.
What can I do?
What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Even though he owed the home prior to the marriage, he can not just kick you out and that would have to be done, through court order. Moreover, when you file and in the papers, you should be able to ask for temporary support from him, while the divorce is pending, as well as housing, if you do not have the funds to support yourself, at this time. The issue with custody of your two daughters will need to be addressed as well, so the Judge will need to determine if there will be shared custody as well. As long as he has income and the ability to do so, he should be ordered to provide support, while this is going on.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!