How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29818
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Start by reading your court order. Sometimes it says that alimony will stop at a specific time. If it doesn't say, then your alimony will continue until one of you passes away or you remarry. He can also seek to terminate your alimony if you move in with a new partner but don't get married.

When you turn 62, you become eligible to receive Social Security benefits. Depending on the amount of those benefits and the amount of your alimony, he may be able to ask the judge to reduce or end your alimony payments. But it's not automatic unless the court order says so. If the court order doesn't set a specific end date, he's in contempt of court when he stops paying. You'd be able to ask the judge to order him to pay any missed payments.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions