How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2129
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Current court order states I can not move further than 100

Customer Question

Current court order states I can not move further than 100 miles from my son's mother. I have legal custody of him, she pay's zero in support or anything. He is 16 and has lived full time with me since 2014. Court order took place in Berkshire county Mass. We currently live in Bristol,Ct. (52) miles away. Abuse allegations against x-wife's boy friend.
So instead of going to trial I paid her $5,000 in cash and she granted me custody with the stipulation of the distance. I currently lost my job and have since landed a job but it's further away. I need to take this job to support myself and son. There has to be away to get out of this order. I attempted to ask her to grant us out but she said no. Also during this 2 year time frame she has only seen him 7 times and never given christmas or birthday gift's. She in my mind is being just spitfull. Help John
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for signing up for our service. I am sorry to hear about your situation. You simply need to file a modification of the court order allowing you to move further distance. I think you can bring to the court's attention that she has not exercised her visitation rights so the 100 mile restriction is unnecessary. Furthermore, to put more pressure on her, you should begin seeking child support from her. She is obligated to pay based on the minimum wage even if she is unemployed. This strategy may force her to reconsider her position.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

If you need further assistance, just let me know. Otherwise, please "accept" the answer and if you like offer a positive rating so that I can close out the question from the queue.

Related Family Law Questions