How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29803
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I first file

Customer Question

How do I first file for divorce
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The first step to filing for divorce is to establish grounds. In Illinois, either spouse can seek a no-fault divorce once the spouses have lived separate and apart for 2 years. If that's not the case, then you have to be able to establish: bigamy, adultery, abuse, alcohol abuse or drug addiction lasting at least 2 years, or abandonment for at least one year.

Once you have grounds, you can file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. Some counties may have forms you can use online. For example, here are the forms and instructions for Cook County. The process for filing an uncontested divorce does tend to be simpler. This site also has forms that may be useful.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions