How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I realize it's late but after 3 mos of not being able to see

Customer Question

I realize it's late but after 3 mos of not being able to see or speak to my 5 yr old daughter my x txt. Me this evening offering me the chance to see my little girl for holiday .. Just to tease me and saying no..i was in a 8yr relationship in Colorado springs Co . The relationship has been over and have lived separate for over a year.. I have been an active parent in my daughter's life until my x recently broke up with her boyfriend and in hopes of us rekindling our relationship ...when she realized I'm in a healthy new relationship my x immediately refused for me to see our daughter.. I have recordings of my x telling our daughter she hates me . I truly feel my x is playing mind games with our five year old.a child so young and full of life shouldn't naturally have hatred unless taught. I reside our of state for the time being for better employment. What and how do I file visitation or custody from our of state.?..and would a guardian ad litem help in this situation? Please lead me in the right direction? Sincerely ***** ***** Ricky sheridan
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

In Missouri, if the parents can't reach a mutual agreement concerning custody of the children, the court shall determine custody based on the best interests of the child, considering all relevant factors including:

(1) The wishes of the parents concerning custody and the proposed parenting plan submitted by both parties;

(2) The needs of the child for a frequent, continuing and meaningful relationship with both parents and the ability and willingness of parents to actively involved in meeting the needs of the child;

(3) The relationship of the child with parents, siblings, and any other person who may significantly affect the child's best interests;

(4) Which parent is more likely to allow the child frequent, continuing and meaningful contact with the other parent;

(5) The adjustment of the child to the child's home, school, and community;

(6) The mental and physical health of all individuals involved, including any history of abuse of any individuals involved;

(7) The intention of either parent to relocate the principal residence of the child; and

(8) The wishes of a child as to the child's custodial parent.

When determining custody, there shall be no preference given to either parent in the awarding of custody because of that parent's age, sex, or financial status, nor because of the age or sex of the child.
[Based on Missouri Revised Statutes, Sections 452.375]

See link for child custody forms:

It should have a form for you to file for custody. I would hire an attorney specializing in divorce or child custody and this will help you immensely in this situation as you will need to specialized knowledge of an attorney to give you the best chance for success.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I see you reviewed my answer, please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic. I want you to be satisfied so I will continue to answer any questions you may have and I thank you in advance for completing this extra step as it will not cost you any additional money.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Any chance for a positive rating?