How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My spouse and I recently signed a legally binding consent

Customer Question

My spouse and I recently signed a legally binding consent decree where I pay alimony beginning January 1, 2016. The decree is not yet before the judge. How do I pay the alimony without an official order to get an Atlas number
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

If you and your spouse must reach an agreement and commit it to writing if you want to divorce by consent. This agreement is usually referred to as a marital settlement agreement, but in some states, it is called a property settlement agreement. By any name, it is a comprehensive document that details a complete resolution of your marriage. If you have children, it must address custody, child support, visitation, medical insurance and unreimbursed medical expenses. If one of you will pay alimony or spousal support to the other, your agreement should state how much and for how long – otherwise, it should waive this provision. You must divide all your property between you, as well as responsibility for marital debts.

A settlement agreement is a binding contract after you and your spouse sign it, but it cannot actually divorce you. You must take an additional step to have your agreement approved by the court and converted to a court order. In Arizona, you must file your agreement as a Stipulation to File Consent Decree, which, if approved, the court will attach to a decree of dissolution. Once the judge reviews it, if he grants the order, he will then sign it. This acts as proving all of the terms which are contained in an agreement. It will only be overruled if the judge sees a glaring inequity contained within the agreement. So while this is binding, it is not official until the Judge grants it. So right now it is not an official court order and alimony would not be paid until it i and the divorce would not be final until that time.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I see you reviewed my answer, please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, an excellent or good rating would be fantastic. I want you to be satisfied so I will continue to answer any questions you may have and I thank you in advance for completing this extra step as it will not cost you any additional money.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Any chance for a positive rating?

Related Family Law Questions