How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6423
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a foreclosure hearing next month. I am 24 months

Customer Question

I have a foreclosure hearing next month. I am 24 months behind on mortgage payments. Is there someway possible I can still save my house? I do have a steady job and can make payments now. Can I get the back payments added on to the end of the loan?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….


The best option I know of if the lender is not willing to work with you is to file for a chapter 13 bankruptcy. This will not only stop the foreclosure in its tracks; but will allow you to pay pennies on the dollar for any unsecured debt like credit card debts. You will be placed on a 3-5 year plan to catch up on back payments while you keep your house. If you have a loan on your car, it will likely be written down to the fair market value of the car. I would suggest you contact a local bankruptcy lawyer. Normally the fees are somewhere between $1300 and $3500 dollars depending on how many assets and debts you have and the complexity of your case.