How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 55459
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I red a lawyer in houston,Texas 6 weeks ago., 3,000.00 cash

Customer Question

I hired a lawyer in houston,Texas 6 weeks ago., 3,000.00 cash to represent me in a divorce and child custody case...I spoke to him once.he said he should be hearing from the courts in a few days and he will get back to me,that was 3 weeks ago.he won't return my calls
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to hearing from you.

I would terminate your relationship with this lawyer and demand all my money be returned. If he won't return your money voluntarily, what you want to do is raise the stakes on him so that he knows that not complying with your demands is going to cost him far more in the end than simply complying now. You should send him a letter by certified, return receipt requested detailing the history, terminating him as your lawyer, and demanding he return your file, refund any money paid, write off any amounts he thinks are due, and pay you any damages you have suffered due to his failure to timely perform his duties. Inform him that if he does not comply with your demands within a short specified period of time, you will have no choice but to: i) file a formal ethics complaint with the state bar association, and ii) file a legal malpractice suit against him for your damages. Be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as gross negligence and willful misconduct causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your actual damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your ethics complaint and your suit. In my experience, this letter is all you will need to send because the lawyer will comply rather than risk the loss of his license and punitive damages.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Family Law Questions