Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Have a emergency! My child custody case is going on trial in

Customer Question
Have a emergency! My child custody...
Have a emergency!
My child custody case is going on trial in 2 weeks, other parent wants to remove my child from the home to get out of paying child support. The amount the other parent owes is twenty thousand dollars including back child support. Also the parent lives out of state. The case was was filed in my state but the judge is backing his side. Can I go to their state and have judge put in into motion I'm aware their breaking federal law and need it expedited.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
12/22/2015
Family Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

CAN YOU PLEASE CLARIFY THIS:

Can I go to their state and have judge put in into motion I'm aware their breaking federal law and need it expedited.

1. What do you mean that they are breaking federal law;is the other parent trying to kidnapp the child?

2. Does the other parent have a lawyer?

3. What does the current child custody order state about this?

1. No the father wants our child permanently removed out of my house and get sole custody.

2. The father does have a lawyer.

3. As of right now we have joint custody with schedule visitation and skyping. Father is saying im interfering with the relationship.

This case has been going on for 4 1/2 years. I have had lawyers, my money has ran out. I do not want to loose my child over false accusations. When the father moved backed to his home state he did not report to the job that he has to pay child support court ordered. refuses to pay back child support. I'm afraid that the judge is going to cancel his child support responsibility and award him custody.

QUESTION: Can I go to their state and have judge put in into motion I'm aware their breaking federal law and need it expedited.

ANSWER:

No, the proper place for this hearing is in IL since that is where you still reside and that is where the custody hearing was first initiated. His state court does not have jurisdiction over this matter unless both you, he, and the child no longer reside in IL.

You can read about the law here.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer