FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My son is in the middle of a custody battle the gaurdain ad

Customer Question

My son is in the middle of a custody battle the gaurdain ad litem assigned to his case told him he needed to find a church to start attending, my question is doesn't my son have the right to his own religious beliefs? Didn't the Gal break a code of ethics by telling him that?
Thanks for any help you can tell us
Sandy
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Sandy, good morning. Do you know why they told him that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gaurdain ad litem said he based his decision on the best home for the child according to spritual needs of the 3 year old child

I think your son has a good faith basis to object to the findings of the GAL and address this issue with the court, when deciding custody. The Judge is always going to act in the best interest of the child but the decision of the father and the demand that he find a church and that a 3 year old has spiritual needs, appears to be unreasonable, since it does interfere with his choice of religion. If that was the sole basis of their finding, there could be issues, since religion alone should not determine who the child lives with.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.