How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am suing my attorney. He sent me my file and it had some

Customer Question

I am suing my attorney. He sent me my file and it had some important papers missing and included a sheet of paper that contained information about another one of his clients? How can I show damages. My privacy and identity may be in the hands of another person since I have in turn received info on another client. Do I have a leg to stand on here?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

What state is this in regards to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you; So that is difficult, as the burden is on the plaintiff to prove damages; so the person bringing suit,for example, for an invasion of privacy tort would need to prove they were harmed by the information.

If one can prove the breach (the sheet of paper pertaining to another client would help, along with a declaration stating what papers were missing) then the next step would be to prove damages. Some judges will allow for punitive damages, but generally only for malicious or willful violations.

In contrast a malpractice suit would be based on negligence, so that is another option. But unless the court finds the conduct to be willful then the punitives still would not be awarded.

Often for situations where damages cannot be proven the court will order a credit monitoring service to be paid by the defendant (attorney) to help prevent identity theft.