How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do I do if my ex-spouse is transfers our child to a

Customer Question

What do I do if my ex-spouse is transfers our child to a different school without my consent?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

If the other parent did not have permission to transfer the child (the court order will typically state this authority if the other party is allowed to unilaterally make decisions re: the child's education) then the non consenting parent would bring a motion for contempt. Contempt involves the willful and knowing violation of a court order, and can result in fines, an award of attorney fees, and even jail time. (If the other parent does have sole managing conservatorship they are allowed to make these unilateral decisions unless the court order states otherwise).

reference: Tex. Fam. Code §153.132

Additionally a modification of the current court order can be requested because many courts will see a unilateral and abrupt move as not in the child's best interests.