TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I'm recently divorced with child support that goes on

Customer Question

I'm recently divorced with child support that goes on indefinatley, even after death with monies coming from social security, annuities, even my estate, after I'm gone. If I get remarried and live in a non community property state, would my new wife and all of our new joint possesions be affected?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Generally speaking, your new wife's separate property would not be at risk, because would remain hers even after marriage. However, joint assets (e.g., bank accounts, etc.), could be at risk if you were to stop making support payments. Accordingly, it would probably be in your new wife's best interests to keep her personal property separate.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!