Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My son pass a few weeks ago, as the grandfather what rights

Customer Question
do I have to visit...
My son pass a few weeks ago, as the grandfather what rights do I have to visit the grandchild in the state of Georgia
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Family Law
12/19/2015
Family Lawyer: Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Please note, I cannot comment on your specific situation, as this services is only limited to general information and for any legal advice / legal service you should contact your local attorney.

I am sorry about your loss.

How old is your grandchild and does the custodial parent is willing to allow visitation?

1 year old. No I am sure she is not willing to allow visitation

Thank you for your follow up.

What is the reason for the denial of visitation by the mother?

When was the last time you visited with the grandchild and how often did you have visitation when you son was alive?

At my son funeral. I live in Texas but travel to Georgia often with my job plus I retired from the military in the Georgia area so still visit friends there

Thank you for your follow up.

Georgia, law does allow a grandparent to file a Petition for Visitation with a minor grandchild, however, such petition can only be filed once every 2 years, so if the petition is denied, then a grandparent would have to wait for 2 years before he can file for visitation again.

The grandparents' visitation rights are generally limited if granted, to several hours a week of a month, depending on the circumstances and when the court decides whether to grant the petition for visitation, the court considered the bond between the minor child and the grandparent, the overall fitness of the grandparent for visitation and the judge would make a ruling which is in the best interest of the minor child.

Pursuing petition for grandparent visitation can be legally complex and overwhelming, especially when the grandparent does not reside in the same state where the grandchild lives and where the Petition would have to be filed, so it is essential to consult and retain an experienced local GA family law attorney to represent you in your visitation proceedings, if you do decide to pursue such.

You can find an experienced and skilled local family law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

www.lexmundi.com
www.martindale.com
www.lawyers.com
www.legalmatch.com
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to family law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter will be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law