How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34714
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband has been emailing my ex mother in law-who has

Customer Question

My ex husband has been emailing my ex mother in law-who has remained my friend since divorce - that I killed my last husband(who actually shot himself in the head), and that I have drugged him and have tried to kill him. I am a nurse he has said I was bringing home drugs and trying to kill him. I left this husband because he is an alcoholic. My ex mother in law says I should sue him for this a case?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma.

Slander is a form of defamation. Defamation is defined as a false statement of fact that harms the reputation of the victim.

What you are describing sounds like defamation...that is, if he is lying about you, and the lies are harming your reputation, you could sue for defamation. is good to understand that to sue for defamation you will need to hire an attorney (you can not sue in small claims court for defamation). And you can not sue for your lawyer fees. So to sue and win you would need to obtain a judgment in excess of what you had to pay the lawyer.

Your judgment would depend on how this harmed you.

SO, for example, if you can not get a job because of this, or this has otherwise harmed your reputation in the community? Perhaps worth the cost (of paying the lawyer).

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.