How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Joint custody, I'm primary, we are to follow judge sc

Customer Question

Joint custody, I'm primary, we are to follow judge browns sc visitation law. The other party is not following and is causing my child confusion. I've taken her to counciling for anxiety. I have let a lot of this slide bc it updates her so. Please help advise me, she's 13. She loves her father, he's abusing his rights, or divorce was granted on physical abuse
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  faye lee replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I know this is a difficult situation to ensure your daughter's happiness and being safe at the same time. Not sure if you want to go back to court to ask for total custody or supervised visits. if he is abusing your daughter, you would need to have proof of such behavior. You clearly want to ensure no abuse is going on and that your daughter would disclose such information. It appears that you want the father in your daughter's life and if that is the case then the three of you will need to discuss how you can work through all issues effectively. If the judge has given both of you orders to be followed and your ex spouse has failed to follow such orders then the judge should be informed that your ex spouse is in contempt of the court order. Your attorney should be able to address such. You have your daughter in counseling which will help but you may also want to seek some family counseling which would include her father to help to develop guidelines that each of you would follow. For example receiving calls when she in his home. If he needs parenting skills then you may talk to your attorney. Clearly, you will need to keep on top of all issues since you have been affected by previous abuse with her father. The custody can be modified if you are able to support such with facts. I hope this has helped.... take care