How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We were married 15yrs.we had no children. I have been

Customer Question

we were married 15yrs.we had no children. I have been divorced 5yrs. when I got divorced I was making $150,000.00 a year. I gave her the house worth $300,000.00+ $100.000.00 in cash and alimony $750.00 a month. I got our summer home in NC worth $200,000.00. I lost my job & went into my own business that failed & has me & my current wife personally in debit for $385,000.00+. I currently have a toddler child with my current wife and a job that pays $90K. Stupidly I stopped paying alimony since 4/2015 without doing a modification. I'm now in contempt for not paying her alimony and forfeited the summer home which after not paying that mortgage which my decree states if I don't pay 3 months is also in contempt as it reverts back to the ex. I must pay her $6K by April & my pay check has been garnished. I can't afford my own lawyer since I have to pay the exes. my exes lawyer has drawn up papers making it sound that I have this money when I can't keep my head above water. WHAT ACTION CAN I TAKE.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, you cannot change the past due amounts, which you may know already. You would need to file a motion to modify now for future payments but you will have to make arrangements to pay those back payments I am sorry to say. If you begin by filing your motion to modify and then contact the attorney to negotiate a payment plan with the ex's attorney that they will accept, this would help you avoid the added charges for the contempt which he will indeed file. Your payment plan on the arrears has to be reasonable though or you know he will reject your negotiation efforts.
I am afraid those are really your only options. You can seek legal assistance at the local legal aid office as well if you want to try to get legal representation.

Related Family Law Questions