How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33518
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In September my granddaughters mother kicked her out of the

Customer Question

In September my granddaughters mother kicked her out of the house, I found her sitting on the curb with 1 bag of clothes. Now she wants her back home. She has been living with me since then. Also the parents were never married and their is no custody papers for either. They just have been living with their mother. The girl is 15 years old. What can be done so she does not have to live with her mother.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

You would need to contact local children and family services. Also, you can file for custody. If the mother does not agree then the court will hold a hearing to determine what is in the best interests of your granddaughter.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Your granddaughter is at an age where the court will give some weight to her preference.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Family court litigation can get complex and it is strongly recommended that you retain local counsel before taking any action.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

By the way, your petition would be based on abandonment by the mother.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.