How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37790
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Aloha-- My wife, Tiffany xxxxx, had her name changed by her

Customer Question

Aloha-- My wife, Tiffany xxxxx, had her name changed by her mother in 1966 here in Kailua-Kona when she was five years old. She was born "Stacey xxxxx" in Phoenix, AZ, but has been "Tiffany" for 49 years. She's had Social Security Card, Driver's License, Bank Accounts, Passport, married twice, and bought a house all with the name Tiffany. She's now Tiffany xxxxx. Her birthday is ***** 14, xxxxx, and she just tried to get her driver's license renewed. The DMV needs her birth certificate despite all her current documents. We hit a snag getting her birth certificate (first time ever that she's had a problem) because apparently there is no legal record of her name change. BTW, both her parents have passed on. We're very low income, and she needs to drive for her work, so we're in a double bind.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning and Aloha,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The difficulty you are having is all related to the tightening of documentation necessary to get a driver's license or passport and is related to the concerns following Nine-Eleven. Millions of people are running into these problems across the country.

If there is no record of her name having been changed legally, through a court---which would have been required of the parents in order to make the name change legally effective-----then there is no other choice other than your wife is going to have to petition the court in Hawaii where you live for a Name Change. That order will eliminate the need to find any past evidence of the many times she has changed her name in the past---be it by her parents or through getting married on several occasions.

Here is a link to the forms that she can use to petition the court for a change of name:

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best this holiday season,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

Thanks in advance,