How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been living with my girlfriend who I was with since

Customer Question

Good Morning,
I have been living with my girlfriend who I was with since 1991 and we have a son who is 18 years of age and lawfully we split up in 1999 and went to court I had to pay my child support which I did then she was back to my life since april of 2009 and move to my house and I was trying to see my son grow in my house and he was 11 years of age when she came back and now my son is 18 and going to college and I waited this long for him not to get hurt and get older and now I want her out of my life. She does not do anything and I do not want to be in this relationship anymore and she wants basically everything what is my rights by arizona law and again we are not married she is just my girlfriend.?
Please advise
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.


This is Samuel and I will discus this and provide you information in this regard.

First, there is no marriage as AZ does not recognize a "common law" or "informal marriage" and so what you have basically are two people who have lived together for a long time.

There is no legal process for a "divorce" because you are not considered married. However, if she has contributed to the upkeep of the home or if you two are on the Deed together, then she may bring the matter to court to request what she feels she deserves.

So in that regard, I suggest you begin by discuss this with her. Get a feel for what she thinks she may be entitled to and if you cannot work it out with an agreement, then I suggest you two will want to consult with a local Mediator to help resolve your issues.

Unfortunately, you cannot simply kick her out of the home she has established as her residence. So you will need to work on coming to some sort of equitable separation agreement.

Please let me know here, if you have other questions, need further information or clarification in this regard.